Friday, June 1, 2012

"The Avengers"— Fun, Fast, and Fantastical

Dexter Investigates the Destruction with Hawkeye and the Hulk
      I didn't grow up with Marvel comic books.  I'm not sure why.  I remember seeing them at the newsstand, but none of my friends were in to reading them either.  So when Ann and Woody asked me to see The Avengers with them, I had to
think about that.  It was their second time around so I figured I was in for a good time.

Iron Man on the NYC Set
      I expected nothing but phenomenal special effects and that's exactly what was shown.  They called out what seemed like practically every FX company from around the globe to create the tireless sequences.  I know there were some flaws, but the acton was so fast you'd be hard pressed to find them.  The set design was futuristic without appearing too far beyond.  I felt it was reminiscent of Minority Report, and that was incredibly memorable.

      The plot is basic…bad guy (Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston straight from Thor) sets up to destroy New York City.  It's good vs. evil as one would expect.  The 3-D was mostly a waste except for a couple of objects floating in the audience's direction.  Then we have an all star cast, and I'm not just talking the superheroes.  Some were from past engagements on the screen like Robert Downey Jr. as Ironman, Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.  Add in newcomers Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow, Jeremy Runner as Hawkeye, and Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk to get even more adrenalin charging from the screen.  This is the first time an actor playing Dr. Bruce Banner also plays the Hulk thanks to the techniques used in Avatar.  Seeing Ruffalo transformed into the Hulk (and his ensuing awkwardness) is well worth the price of admission.  All of the characters have egos larger than their exaggerated bodies, and it's the humor about themselves that the audience will find appealing.  (If you stay until the final frame of the credits, you'll see what I mean.)  I found that connection with all of the actors except Jeremy Renner.  Maybe it's because Hawkeye is pretty much an accomplished archer rather than a superhero, leaving that character dim in comparison.  

The Actors and Their Alter Egos
      Ann and Woody loved it just as much the second time around.  Me—not so much.  BUT it was fun, even if I didn't have a special relationship with the superheroes growing up.

http://marvel.com/avengers_movie

No comments: