Saturday, September 24, 2011

Noce's New York Style Pizzeria—All the Flavors of NYC

Noce's Pizza Selection
The New York Style Interior

      I like New York style pizza, so when I heard about Noce's, I put it on my shortlist.  The Montgomery location (there are four around Cincinnati) was close to my work so I talked Karen and Melissa into joining me.  It's an inconspicuous  strip center storefront with an interior that immediately
reminded me of Queens or Manhattan's Lower East Side.  The flippant server confirmed that we had been temporarily transported.  She warmed up later.  Maybe she saw the camera, or just decided she liked us.  We were put off a little by the table that could have used another wipe, and traded out the crusty-sided parmesan cheese container that had not survived the humid summer. 

      The pizza was served whole or by the slice.  I had made up my mind I was going to try two kinds.  I checked out the case to see which ones jumped out at me.  Now to decide.  

Tossed Salad
Melissa ordered a Tossed Salad with bleu cheese dressing along with a slice of the White Garlic with mozzarella, garlic, and oil.  

White Garlic Pizza
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Karen went with the Buffalo Chicken Salad and I decided on a slice of the White Dream (garlic & oil, mozzarella, ricotta, tomato, broccoli, and basil) and Mattie Deluxe (pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, and garlic).  We obviously weren't planning on any meetings that afternoon with the aromas we were going to be carrying around!  

White Dream and Mattie Deluxe Pizzas
Nothing disappointed us.  The lettuce was fresh in the salads and the dressings were house made (the bleu cheese was really chunky).  The pizzas all had that thin light crust with the pouffy outer edge.  The toppings were all very fresh and crispy.  The White Dream's ingredients could have been taken a little closer to the edge, but that's part of a custom made pizza and my piece was probably unique.  

The Poster in Question
      This brought me to notice the poster on the wall advertising the difference between the big chains and an independent pizzeria.  The photo of the pizza couldn't have been more perfect and contrived.  It was not the hand made pizza that I had just chowed down.  So why, Noce, are you conveying the opposite of your one-of-a-kind creations?  Or were you showing the competition's pizza, which would be an even worse offense?  I say it's time for a new advertising agency.  Call me!

Noce's Pizzeria on Urbanspoon




Wow! Neil showed me that poster and he and I could do a much better job than that.  Call both of us!

No comments: