Monday, February 14, 2011

A Dinner Party with a Recipe to Share

Finally…a warmer day!  I was outside playing most of the afternoon while Eric and Neil were preparing for our dinner guests.  Eric made chicken curry with the aroma filling the whole house.  Neil baked a pretty plum cake (he’ll share the recipe below).  Karen and Tom brought a turnip green salad.  The music included selections from Monsoon Wedding and The Secret Garden to complete the mood (the guys are really into that). 

I had not previously met our guests.  I was napping when they arrived and decided to wait until after dinner to make my entrance.  I did my usual rub of the legs to attract their comments.  They seemed pleased to meet me and it was immediately mutual.  The dining table had a mixture of scents that was attracting me.  Eric and Neil were mortified by my next move, and Karen and Tom appeared amused.  Really!  I just wanted to be a part of the conversation.  I took my place on the pillow.  After all, this is my home too. 


HOLDER’S PLUM CAKE

I received this recipe from a coworker years ago.  It’s like the fruity, citrus version of a red devil’s food cake.  It makes a smashing presentation and a light, moist ending to any meal.

Preheat oven to 350º.  Grease and flour a bundt pan.

Sift together and set aside:
2 cups flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon

Beat together:
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 lg. jar (6 oz.) plum baby food
    (you can substitute prune baby food 
    which is more widely available)
4 tsp. red food coloring

Add the dry ingredients and beat until fluffy. 
This is really red!  Pour the mixture into a bundt pan.  
Bake 50-55 minutes.

Glaze while still hot with:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
2½ Tbsp. lemon juice (I’ve also used orange juice)
Heat the glaze over a low heat until smooth.  Add 1 tsp. red food coloring.  This time around I added more powdered sugar by mistake.  Eric thought the effect was better and the taste was very similar.  Glazing just soaks inside the cake better.  You can also add 1 cup of nuts.

No comments: