Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cuban Pete Sandwiches…Robust, Hot and Sweet

Cuban Pete Sandwiches on Court Street
     When one takes over a space once occupied by Tom + Chee, one must have the hope that the business will have the 
same success.  By borrowing the same menu format and applying it to some Cuban family recipes, the potential is certainly there.  The interior has been splashed with lime green and orange to erase all the red and yellow.  A friendly staff added to the appeal.

El Cubano
     Eric and I met on a Friday for lunch (it's open for breakfast also) to check out one of my favorite cuisines.  Our go-to for Cuban food has been Havana Rumba in Louisville, so our standards are high.  However, on a recent visit there I sampled their El Cubano Sandwich and I wasn't wowed.  So, I was ready to put Cuban Pete to the test.  I found his to be what i consider the perfect Cubano.  There were two things that were key…the bread and an unassuming mustard lightly glazing the cheese.  Eric wasn't as happy with his Special 

Apple Butter Cuban
Apple Butter Cuban with turkey and goat cheese substitutes.  It made me wonder about Pete's other variations including one made with goetta.  We'll leave that one for another visit as well as the other sandwiches and salads.  The side of Plaintains was on par with HR, but the Cuban Missiles (Croquetas) were a mouthwatering filling of puréed ham and mozzarella.  I could have made a meal out of them.  They reminded me of the ham croquettes at Bill Knapp's.  Each sandwich is served with a handful of lightly caramelized popcorn adding to the sweetness present in almost everything we sampled.  Our Café Con Leches were no exception.  I asked for mine sweetened, but Eric confirmed that even the regular was sweet enough.  This was my kind of place! 


Cuban Pete Sandwiches Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments: